Monday, July 14, 2008

updates and such

You know when something is new and you can't stop doing it cuz it's fun and exciting and different and well...new? Then, that something becomes old and mundane and a constant reminder of all the time you have and they fact that you don't have a job and that you suck...do you know that feeling?
Well, that's how I feel about my computer. In the beginning, it was fun to sit outside for hours and plug away at my laptop, write on my blog and chill. Now, I just kinda stare at it with disdain. But that doesn't mean I should cease to write right? There's so many witty pundits and critisisms out there, all waiting to be put in my blog. I admit it, I let my little blog go stagnant. Like a plant not being watered, my words were all dried up and bitter. The problem was that I just didn't have anything of any value to say. Nothing funny, nothing witty, nothing even angry. I am here to say that I am back, ready to write. Ready to bring you back into the world of Erin, as crazy and rambunctious as that may be.

The most recent thing of note is a job interview I had today. It was a tech/driver gig for a coffee company. For all you office people out there: You know those coffee services in your breakroom that always work and never cease to run out of coffee? Well, I interviewed for a position to be the person that fixes those machines when they break and bring you all the coffee your office can handle. Also, installing new machines for new customers. I was super excited about it for 3 reasons. #1: I could continue to deliver excellent customer service while not being chained to a desk and be more "hands-on". #2: the job would teach me light plumbing, a skill worth it's weight in gold and which would transfer over nicely to a wastewater gig. #3: I love coffee and working with it would be cool. The guy liked me. I answered all the questions extraordinarily. I looked great, but not too great cuz I didn't want him to think I was way too girly for the position. Translation: I left the heels at home, wore a nice pair of khaki pants with my best mary-jane docs and a cute cardigan with a nice camisole that showed off my...assets nicely cuz quite frankly, a good pair of boobs only helps things along right? Right. The employment add asked for someone with a mechanical mind (I got's that) and someone with good customer service skills (I gots that in spades) and also that there was no experience necessary and that they would train. Sweet, it's a win-win. I gots this gig in the bag. And it would seem so. The guy even said that he wished he didn't have any more interviews and that he really like me! Here is the only caveat, and methinks it's a big one. He asked me if I would be interested in "Sales". Sales, huh. Say with me folks..."Sales". For those that know and love me, they know that I would rather lose my big toe than to do "sales". There really is no reason to keep putting "sales" in quotes, I just think it makes it look more ominous..so don't get all grammatical on me ; ) Why would it I be interested in "sales"?? Did I apply for a "sales" position? No. I sure didn't. Oh yeah, I'm a girl, so naturally I should be interested in "sales". How fucking sexist is that? I don't want a "sales" job. I want the tech job. I nicely reiterated that I was really more interested in the tech position. He said that he just wanted me to think about it, just in case he interviews and hires another applicant that has more mechanical experience. Which I get, I really do, but FUCK. Also, he said that I would have to pass a drug test. I said "that's fine, I have no problem with that". Then, this is where a bit of the sexist thing comes in again...He also said that should I be offered the tech position, that I would have to pass a physical. One that makes sure that I can manage all the "heavy lifting". Let me just say that the sentance prior to him telling me that little nugget was "Most of our machines weigh 20lbs and there is one that is too heavy to lift on your own, regardless of how strong you are, so anyone would need help lifting that". So, a question enters my brain..is he thinking that I am going to have a problem lifting 20lbs?? Do I look like a delicate fucking flower? I told him that I had no beef with the lifting and in fact I am stronger than I look. I went on (because at this point I needed him to know that just because I have a vagina instead of a penis, I can do manual labor and I felt I had to prove myself, shit...I digress...) anyways, I went on to say that when I worked at the winery that I regularly lifted cases upon cases of wine and champagne and that I could carry 2 cases of bubbly, each weighing 48-52lbs each, with ease. That seemed to drive my point home and he went on to tell me how much he liked me. Yay, point Erin. I just don't get it. I would never assume that because of ones gender, they could only do certain jobs. Hey, there are jobs I gladly leave to the boys. The dudes on Discovery's "Deadliest Catch" is one. Another is a prison guard. Not at a county jail, but at a maximum security deal. Even then, I don't begrudge a girl the opportunity to do those jobs at all. Go for it. I guess I am just frustrated. I think the frustration stems from the fact that it is proving super hard to get into the wastewater field, and I know it's because I am a girl. It's cool though. I will take my operators test in October and I will pass. I will keep plugging along, hoping that some Plant manager takes a chance on me. Who am I fucking kidding... I am hoping I apply at a time that they have to filll their State required "girl quota" and I will gladly take advantage of my "weaker sex" then : )

So there you go. Erin as of 3:02pm, July 14th. 4 cigarette's in and a little bit lighter due to walking 3+ miles a day. I could catch you all up on the mindless day-to-day crap that has taken place since my last post, but I don't wanna. I will say though that my neighborhood went OFF on the 4th of July. Hell, the neighborhood behind us lit up the sky like a war-zone. It was awesome!

Bye for now friends. I will try to post more here on out. Promise : )

2 comments:

Michael said...

I wasn't gonna pester, because I knew you'd be back when you were ready.

Thank you for the update.

As I was reading, I could hear your voice in my head and you had me giggling right along... ("...a good pair of boobs only helps things along...sales...sales...Do I look like a delicate fucking flower...")

I hope you get the job. Hell, I'd love the job. Maybe not the "sales" part, but I'd love to pee in a cup!

Welcome back.

erin said...

your comments always brighten my day : )