Friday, January 18, 2008

A head bonk and poop plants

Are you, gentle readers, intrigued by my title? I will explain...

Last night I took a class at our local junior college. I can't remember the last time I was a student. I am fairly certain that flannel shirts are Pearl Jam were popular. Anyways, there I was, at the JC with Dave, Leland and Larry, taking a Wastewater Plant Operator class. What is that you ask?
Basically, it's a class that will enable me to become a poopy plant operator. I know, it's the epitome of glamour. My brother has been in wastewater for awhile now, actually got a degree in it and works in a plant in Marin. The way I figure it, I have nothing but time right now, why not see if this will pan out into a career? We all know that I am done with office jobs. I am done with customer service jobs. I can't help people anymore. I can't deal with the public and I can't sit in a cube. Unfortunately, those are my only skills,. I have never felt so worthless as I do now. I feel like I have wasted SO much time in my life, work-wise. Why couldn't I have just lit a fire under my ass years ago, knuckled down and really challenged myself to find a career I would be good at? Something I could really be proud of? I envy those who know exactly what they want. I guess I always knew my complacency would come back and bit me in the butt. Damn..my ma was right. Ssshhhh. Don't tell her I said that. Whoops, tangent..back to the topic at hand. The class was great. Really really interesting. The instructor was a soft talker, so I have to move to the front next week, but I think it's going to be great. There is one hurdle though, and it's a biggie. There is math. Lots and lots of conversion type math. I am not math minded at all. Blame it on my genes. English was always my strong suit. I have talked myself out of a number of careers due to math. I am completely math retarded. It intimidates the hell out me. This time around, I am not going to let it get me. I am going to tackle it head on. My big bro said he will help me, so that will be awesome. Plus I got the boys that I am taking it with. Dave, already being an Operator, is a huge plus.. so I think we will succeed. I think what I like best about the opportunity is that it is hard work, in the actual working with your hands and such. Not to say that desk work isn't hard, cuz it is, but this is different. Not staring at a computer all day, tied to a chair. I also like the idea that it is a male-dominated. I think that I work better with boys. Ok, that sounds weird. I guess I just get along with guys easier than I get along with girls.
Where does the head-bonk come in, you ask? This is a slightly funny, but painful story.
Class was over early at 9:30 PM, so by the time we got back to Leland and Mel's and had a few smokes, it was 10:30 when I got home. I finished the book I was reading and started getting ready for bed. Oh, side-bar- this is important for the story. I bought a new bedroom set. It is comprised of beautiful, dark and heavy wood. It's an asian-style bed. So it is low to the ground and platform style, with a ledge type deal that goes around the bed (remeber the ledge, it is an important detail). Got the picture in your head? Good, back to the story. I was washing my face, when I heard some serious kitty shenangan's going on. Rick was asleep in bed, so I had to keep everything kinda dark. Whiskey was on the floor, my side of the bed, just sitting there. Keep in mind that there is only like 3 inches under the bed. No room for any storage or anything. Upon further inspection, I notice a little black tail sticking out. What the fuck? How the hell did Soda get under there? So, here I go, I get down on my knees and duck down to look under the bed. Low and behold, I forgot about that fucking hard wood ledge. Of course, I was brutally reminded of it when my forehead decided to go in for a closer look and say hello. Seriously, I think I might have knocked myself out a bit. I say head bonk, but it was more of a head smack. I am left with a nice egg on the right side of my forehead. So pretty :) I broke a blood vessel in my left eye the other day, so I am nice and grotesquely balanced out now. To be Erin is truly a blessed thing folks.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Oh Erin! NO! You don't have to take this "falling down the stairs" routine. If you want to leave, you can always stay with me. ;-)

erin said...

LOL : )
the "falling down the stairs" routine? i'm not familiar with that one. Enlighten me Obi Wan : )

erin said...

by the way..I linked all my buddies that have blogs. I listed yours, without asking cuz apparently, I am an ass. If you want me to remove it, I will : )