Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A foul and mysterious odor

Monday sweeps by without any fanfare. After a busy weekend, Monday is just kinda there. Me, in my PJ's, no shower and nothing to do. My niece comes, sleeps for 2.5 hours, then goes and I am left again, alone, with nothing to do. I am sitting on my couch, emailing back and forth with Rick, who is not feeling well. Low and behold, in he walks. In addition to scaring the shit out of me (it was 1:00 in the afternoon) he is not feeling well. Something has upset the inner workings of the Ricker. Without the gory details, he uses the bathroom and goes directly to bed. After I bring him some soup, nature has called and I use the bathroom. First thing I notice is the smell. "jeez babe, we have a fan and room spray for a reason." I shrug it off to whatever is going on in his bowels and commence my day of laying on the couch and watching movies. Time progresses and I walk back to the bedroom to check up on the sicky. The same smell from hours before hits me again. "Goddamn, what the fuck is that? It shouldn't still smell should it??" Rick says that he thinks something is dead. At first I laugh, thinking he is making a funny about bombing the commode, but then realize that he is serious. My mind drifts back to when Rick's dad had trapped rats in their garage. The traps were set high, so unfortunately you don't know you have killed something till the smell happens. The smell in the bathroom is very similar to that of the garage. I open the cabinet to the sink, no smell. Thank god I didn't kill something by throwing my hair dryer around in there. Uh oh, has something died in the wall? Maybe it will go away. Which leads us to this morning. The laundry room is on the other side of the bathroom and there is a hole in the wall where the cats hold vigil once in awhile. Probably rats or mice hanging out , causing a ruckus. As I was doing laundry this morning, the foul and mysterious odor was ever so present. Well that's just dandy. The laundry room AND the bathroom smells. So what does one do when one thinks something has expired in their wall? Must contact carpenter friends asap. Those handy boys will know what to do. Visions of ripped up walls and dead disease-bearing vermin dance in my head. Bleech. To make matters worse, I have to take a shower. My lazy ass couldn't motivate to take one yesterday and before my own stink starts assaulting my nostrils, this girl needs to bathe. Problem: I don't want to shower in the stinky room. Warmth and steam is gonna make it worse right? The whole house is going to be foul. Great, here I am, stuck in this house cuz there is not a goddamn thing I need to do and now I'm going to be marinating in the smell. I am lame. Unless I want to go outside and spray myself down with the garden hose, I just need to do it. I must be brave.

No comments: