Sunday, February 24, 2008

My wicked smart brother

I love my big brother. I really really do. Big bro Chris came over yesterday to help Leland and I study. I wasn't looking forward to it at first cuz I was up late and was a bit hungover, but we needed to do it, so we did. We had been given 2 new math formula's for our poop class that were crazy. Chris explained everything and gave us problem's to work out. Then he would check our answers. Here is an example of the crazyness that is the math for class.
So you have these trickling filters in a plant, which is the beginning of the biological part of treating wastewater. What you have to find out is the organic loading in pounds BOD/day/thousand cubic feet for a circular trickling filter. BOD is the Biochemical Oxygen Demand. What you first have to figure is the specs. The diameter of the filter is 133 feet squared with a media depth of 6 feet, the primary effluent flow is 2.5 MGD (millions of gallons per day) with a BOD of 200 mg/L. First you multiply the 2.5 MGD x the 200 mg/L BOD x the weight of water (which is 8.34) write that number down- then you multiply the diameter squared x .785 x the depth (6ft), then you divide that number by 1000. Draw a line under the first number you wrote down and write your second number down. The top number represents the amount of BOD and the bottom number represents the volume of media. Now you divide the volume of media by the amount of BOD and you are left with 50lbs /day/thous.cubic feet. There ya go. Throughly confused? That is the shit (no pun intended. wait a minute, maybe there is a pun intended. puns are fucking funny) that I am dealing with folks. The above formula is something that I will have to figure out during the operator test multiple times. I actually have to memorize the above formula and so far, 4 others like it. This is something that my little Erin brain is going to have to nail. It's daunting, really, but my brother is such a huge help that I think I will be ok. Just have to study and not get flustered. It's also a huge plus going through this with Leland. We study together every week and it's awesome to have someone who is going through the same frustrations and worries. Also, Dave and Larry are great. Chris has been doing this for 10 years, but to talk to him, you get the feeling that he has been doing it his whole life. It is just so natural for him. I have always been proud of my brother. Back when he was serving in the army there was a dangerous mission to Panama where his company was featured on the news as the first guys jumping in. The LA Riots when he was in the Guard. Now, an Operator 5 for a huge wastewater plant. I guess I am just in awe of him. Wicked smart, I tell ya.

That's all I gots for today. Still jobless, but hopefully I will have an interview this week. Taryn gets her back surgery tomorrow, so if everyone could think good thoughts for her, that would be awesome.
Be well everyone : )

3 comments:

JT said...

Well, I am extremely proud of both of my kids. Makes me feel good to know you guys are studying together and learning from each other. You can do this. I think you are both wicked smart. Which proves that both of you were switched in the hospital. Gawd, did your ma and I luck out. LOL.
Love you. Study and hard as you play and you're a cinch for poop patrol.

JT said...

I meant to say, "study as hard as you play" Sorry. Typing with my forehead again. Love, Dad

erin said...

thanks daddy : )