Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A 2 day bender

Christ on a crutch, bender's are phenomenal. What's more fun than your average garden variety weekend or vacation bender??? Good question. A completely unprecedented surprise Sunday thru Monday bender!!!
Sunday started with a Superbowl shindig at our place. I was originally opposed to hosting, being that I hate football...but we do have a great house and a fabulous set-up for it. We configured our million piece sectional couch into 2 rows, movie theater style. Plenty of places for everyone to be all comfy and cozy. It was fucking fantastic. I really didn't plan on drinking as much as I did, but when I realized that I was already 3 Miller High Life's in before the game even started...I figured that it was on. The unemployment factor kicked in. I didn't have to go to work the next day, so why not? There was a stupid amount of beer and food. Everyone was in good spirits and ready to enjoy the day. We had squares to buy and commercial bingo was in effect. I think I watched the 1st quarter and the last 5 minutes of the game. The rest of the time I just drank and enjoyed everyone. Here's the thing...usually Superbowl is a drinking time but people have to work the next day, so it wraps up early and there may be some buzzy peeps, but nothing out of control. Not this time. Everyone was in it to win it. Around half time I looked around and realized that a good portion of the attendee's were, indeed, very inebriated. It was awesome! Rock Band came out and the drunk ones played until the wee hours of morning. I think I must have at least cleared a 12 pack. Rick and some of the boys were even doing shots of whiskey. It was a crazy day/night and it was good times had by all. The next morning....YIKES. Rick had to get up at 6:00 am to get ready for work. As I walked down the hall, after stumbling sideways multiple times and banging into the walls like a pinball, it became apparent that I was in for a smashing hangover. As soon as my ass sobered up that is. I was still hammered. When Rick begrudgingly left for work, I was left to my own devices on the still theater style couch, giggling uncontrollably because I had such a great time the previous night. That lasted about an hour before I realized that I had to get ready for my second interview! FUCK!!!! The drive to Napa sucked my butt. I was wicked shaky and my internal temperature control was skewed. First I was cold, then stiflingly hot.My stomach was in a constant state of revolt as I tried to choke down a PB & J sandwhich. I was moving slow. No wait, not just slow, but sloooooooooooooooooow. My head felt like little imps were in there trying to rearrange my grey matter. Even the gallon of coffee and the multiple ciggys were not helping. Train wreck, was I. When the interview was over, I headed straight to my beloved Burger King for some much needed hangover food. Now, we shall fast forward to Monday evening.
There I was, front seat of my dad's Durango, (dad driving of course). Mel, Leland, Krisztina and Rick all piled in the back heading to San Francisco. Dad is known as Designated Driver of the Party Van, a title bestowed upon him when he decided to drive his daughter and all her friends out to the bars for my 21st birthday. He truly is a saint. But back to the story at hand. We had tickets to see one of my all time favorite bands, Social Distortion. All parties involved were excited. We got to The Fillmore (a super fabulous place to see a show, by the way) a bit early so we decided to hit up a bar. Hair of the dog right? A couple Vodka Collin's later and I was back to myself. Everyone was perked up and ready to watch a kick ass show. And kick ass it was, my friends. I am in awe. They opened with Uninvited Feelings, an excellent choice. They did it acoustic, which was ok, though I prefer it in it's true bad ass form. The next 2 songs were acoustic as well, which was kinda getting me down. I didn't plan on seeing Social D unplugged. I went to the bar to get more drinks. As I stood, waiting..there it was. The fourth song was in true Social D fashion. I grabbed my drinks and headed back to the floor. While I was gone, the mosh pit has positioned itself right in front of us. At first, I was not pleased. Then I noticed that the 3 boys directly in front of me were standing up ramrod straight, feet planted, arms crossed and ready to bounce those little moshers on their asses. Those 3 guys were amazing. I got pushed every once in awhile, when a slippery little sucker got too close, but it was all good. At the end, I hugged all 3 and kissed their cheeks, thanking them for being my wall and letting me enjoy a truly fabulous show. Mike Ness, the hottie lead singer is getting up there in years, so I was slightly worried that after touring for so long and this being their last show, that his voice was going to be fucked. Not so. He sounded better than ever. He is most definitely moved up closer to the top of my "list".
Upon exiting the Fillmore, we walked to the car, all of us but my dad were hammered. It was a fun ride home, well..to be honest,I can't really say that cuz my drunk ass passed the fuck out. hee hee.
It was a beautiful end to a truly spectacular bender.

No comments: